Recognizing the importance of affordable connectivity, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has launched the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) to help ensure that households can afford the broadband needed for work, school, healthcare, and more.
Key Features and Objectives of the Affordable Connectivity Program:
- Affordable Broadband Subsidies: Eligible households can receive a reduced price of up to $30 per month toward internet service. For households residing on qualifying Tribal lands, the discount can be as much as $75 per month. Additionally, these households have the opportunity to obtain a one-time discount of up to $100 on the purchase of a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers.
- Eligibility Criteria: The Program sets specific criteria to determine eligibility, primarily focusing on low-income households. Eligible participants include those who’s household income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, or those who qualify for other federal assistance programs like Medicaid, SNAP, Federal Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC, Lifeline, etc.
- Program Implementation: The Affordable Connectivity Program works in collaboration with broadband providers to ensure eligible households receive the benefits of the program. Follow the two steps below to apply.
- Step 1: Go to gov to submit an application, either electronically or a paper copy.
- Step 2: Contact your preferred participating provider to select a plan and have the discount applied to your bill.
Benefits and Impact:
The Affordable Connectivity Program holds significant potential to bridge the gap. By providing subsidies to low-income households, it reduces the financial barriers that hinder access to reliable broadband services, and other critical online resources that enhance quality of life. Additionally, the ACP’s emphasis on digital literacy and adoption programs ensures that individuals are not only connected but also equipped with the necessary skills to fully participate in the digital world.
The Federal Communications Commission’s Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) represents a significant step forward in ensuring equitable access to broadband services. As the program continues to evolve and expand, it has the potential to transform lives, enhance educational opportunities, and foster economic growth. Through the AFC, the FCC is actively working towards a more connected future for all.
More information on the Affordable Connectivity Program can be found here.